The GardensThe Castle is set within magnificent parkland and includes a formal garden which is open to the Castle's day visitors.
|Aviary and Wall,
The second baronet, Sir John Hay Williams (1794 - 1859) was a very keen horticulturalist who brought many of the more exotic plants to the gardens at Bodelwyddan. One of his more innovative ideas was to build a 'centrally heated' garden wall - a high brick wall built with fireplaces and flues to keep frost at bay - and this wall can still be seen around the garden. He also built a number of hot houses which sadly fell into disrepair many years ago.
After the Williams family left the Castle in the 1890s a number of tenants took residence and it was one of these, Mr Aitken, who commissioned the landscape architect T H Mawson to redesigned part of the walled garden in 1910.
In the 1980s the gardens were restored by Clwyd County Council and are now cared for by staff at Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel.